it's what interests ME!

It's what interests ME!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lemon Angel Pie...

Lemon Angel Pie

I have been wanting to make this pie for awhile now...I saw it on Leigh Anne's " Your Homebased Mom" blog and I thought "wow that is such a different crust, I have got to try that"...Leigh Anne says that this is her Easter dessert every year. And since I wasn't going with the traditional Italian desserts, like Wheat or Rice pie, I thought this would be a nice change...it did not disappoint... 


 beat you egg whites and cream of tartar till soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, untill stiff peaks form...

butter your 9 inch pie dish...please note I did not own a 9 inch dish so I had to use a 10 inch and let me tell you it makes a difference...

 now this is where it gets tricky...Leigh Anne says that she just piles the egg whites into the dish, I made mine like a crust, next time I am not going to make such an indentation...and use a smaller pie dish!

bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes...if you feel like the outer crust is getting too brown you can use foil to wrap edges..

 stir together your lemon juice and sugar and egg yolks...

 cook in microwave for 4 minutes, stirring  every 30 seconds until it thickens up...very simple "family of flavors"
had to get that in there...

whip your cream, I always put my bowl in the freezer for a few minutes...

combine your lemon curd and the whipped cream...

fill you crust with the filling...

and top with the additional whipped cream...Chill for 24 hours! I put little shavings of lemon peel for decoration...

Lemon Angel Pie
4 eggs, seperated
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups whipping cream.
Beat 4 egg whites with cream of tartar, gradually add 1 cup sugar after soft peaks have formed...  Beat until stiff, but not dry.  Spread on bottom and sides of buttered 9 inch pie pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
Cool.
Take 4 egg yolks and beat slightly.  Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp. salt.  Cook until thickened in microwave for 4 minutes (stir every 30 seconds)  Cool.
Whip 2 cups whipping cream and fold 1/2 of whip cream into lemon mixture.  Pour into cooled meringue shell.  Top with the remaining whip cream.  Chill for 24 hours.







2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Maria, for not seeing this earlier. I need to make it a habit to check my Blogspot reader more frequently ...

    There's something about lemon pie that I really like. Yours here, with the meringue-like crust sounds great! I need to make this!

    I'm heading home for a visit with Zia this week. It will be a week of family and fine food. Can't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful and this comes from someone who doesn't usually eat dessert. I'll have some, please.

    ReplyDelete